Aching Dreams Episode 2

Aching Dreams 2.

Moderators: hentaicook, RosewoodGames

Re: Aching Dreams Episode 2

Postby hentaicook » Fri May 14, 2010 5:15 am

Cheat Codes are definitely out, seeing as I don't want others to simply give away the cheats, like how they're being spammed in the newgrounds reviews.

What you asked for was a way to quickly get back to the hentai scenes, and that's done through the "masturbation" option in your room. You can replay scenes as much as you want after you've unlocked them (even turning off your computer is ok). No codes required, but you do have to legitimately earn to view.

On donations only, it doesn't work. We have tried asking people for donations for a long time now and received very little compared to what we're receiving now that we're charging. Some people even donated because there's a price to the game now.

"Let the ones who want to pay, pay. People who can't should get it for free" is a good spirited mentality. However, statistics show: People don't donate anywhere nearly as much as they're willing to actually pay. Most independent game developers charge for their works because they know this, and well, more money means more games. I'd make it free if it meant that I got more money, but it's clearly not the case.

As for the damage only being applied to the clothes instead of the body, well... The idea was to implement a "strip poker" type of game. Winning equates to reward- girl stripping. No, it's not realistic, but it's way more enjoyable for the user to not see blood. This issue has been addressed, most people agree.

As I could see, the game engine got way more complex, having at least six skills and two item slots. While it means more room for combinating stuff, it can also lead to a more complex game. And if someone just wants to ... see some fine nude women, then it's better if no BASICS are standing between that person and those women. AD1 got around this issue neatly by using those cheat codes for the main characters (but I'd appreciate such a cheat for Svetlana and Oriana too), I guess we will have such a convenient solution for AD2 too, right?

I remember seeing my game at a korean website. They discussed the game in their language and just cheated to get to the goods. It's true, AD1 was played by a wide audience, some of which do not speak very good English. This second game is much more of a game than a simple visual novel that the first one was. In AD1, all you had to do was buy items/train magic/strength. AD2 is a game that I want to move forward on EVERY level, and this meant having to leave this audience behind. As for the player that just wants to see hentai, they're not really players. Free Hentai is all over the internet, it's my belief that people play these games because they want more to their hentai, be it story or gameplay.
Try, Play and Buy AD2S for 10$!http://www.hentaicook.com
Check out AD2S progress here http://achingdreams.blogspot.com/
hentaicook

Postby superking » Sun May 16, 2010 1:10 am

So where (or when) can I preorder this?
superking

Postby hentaicook » Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 am

You may preorder at hentaicook.com by clicking donate and sending 10$.
hentaicook

Postby superking » Mon May 17, 2010 12:22 am

and is Paypal ok?
superking

Postby Z__ » Mon May 17, 2010 1:49 am

hentaicook wrote:Cheat Codes are definitely out, seeing as I don't want others to simply give away the cheats, like how they're being spammed in the newgrounds reviews.

[...] No codes required, but you do have to legitimately earn to view. [...]

I remember seeing my game at a korean website. They discussed the game in their language and just cheated to get to the goods. It's true, AD1 was played by a wide audience, some of which do not speak very good English. [...] AD2 is a game that I want to move forward on EVERY level, and this meant having to leave this audience behind. As for the player that just wants to see hentai, they're not really players. Free Hentai is all over the internet, it's my belief that people play these games because they want more to their hentai, be it story or gameplay.

So you're basically saying that you want to lose some of your audience? Quite an interesting decision. I think the more versatile a game is, the more people will play it.

Just an example. There was once a flash game that was definitely big for the average person's bandwith. So the designers added a simple wall-breaking game to the preloader, to let the players play something completely unrelated to the main game (I think it was a shooter, but it does not matter) while the big game loaded.
As I said before, I like to download games, so I can play them offline too. This way the preloader game lost its meaning, since the shooter loaded instantly. One day I let my little sister play on my PC, and when I checked on her, she was playing with the preloader game. She wouldn't play the main game, that was not for her.

What I'm trying to say here is if you can make a 2-in-1 game (an RPG adventure AND a basic hentai fapper) then why drop a large part of the possible audience? I believe that those who like the adventure and the challenge, we will play the main game from start to all of the endings, because we like it that way. And I'm pretty sure there are thousands of other players who would be very grateful for such a high quality, but simple hentai animation collection, but aren't into challenges or adventures.
They might become your fans too. I admit that it's unlikely that they will pay, but if you could choose between getting a few thousand fans for free or ditching them completely, what would be your choice?
Either way, I've just preordered the game. Now I only have to wait for the release :)
Z__

Postby hentaicook » Mon May 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Okay.

I'm going to add a pass system so that people can cheat to get to the sex scenes...but not all of them. The best scenes should be rewarded for the player's mastery of the system and shouldn't be readily accessible by cheats. When I was designing the game, I thought about removing the cheats and the ensuing result- people talking about how to get the best scenes in this forum. For some unknown reason, it's every gamer's natural instinct to post the cheats up or post a walkthrough on gamefaqs. If we went with a full password system, the hard work aspect and the real communication of strategies would be shortened to...well newgrounds reviews of cheats.

It's easy to add a password system so it's not that I'm unwilling. If I put it in, we do get more people looking at it, but at the cost of a quality game for the people that are paying for it. Would a paying customer argue that he should be able to cheat in a game he bought?

I'll put in some passwords for the easier sex scenes and then people will spam us saying "what's the cheats for the threesome ending", only to have the same response... "there is no cheat for that"(insert smug smiley face?).
hentaicook

Postby SpectralTime » Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 pm

hentaicook wrote:Okay.

I'm going to add a pass system so that people can cheat to get to the sex scenes...but not all of them. The best scenes should be rewarded for the player's mastery of the system and shouldn't be readily accessible by cheats. When I was designing the game, I thought about removing the cheats and the ensuing result- people talking about how to get the best scenes in this forum. For some unknown reason, it's every gamer's natural instinct to post the cheats up or post a walkthrough on gamefaqs. If we went with a full password system, the hard work aspect and the real communication of strategies would be shortened to...well newgrounds reviews of cheats.

It's easy to add a password system so it's not that I'm unwilling. If I put it in, we do get more people looking at it, but at the cost of a quality game for the people that are paying for it. Would a paying customer argue that he should be able to cheat in a game he bought?

I'll put in some passwords for the easier sex scenes and then people will spam us saying "what's the cheats for the threesome ending", only to have the same response... "there is no cheat for that"(insert smug smiley face?).

That actually sounds like a good compromise between the problems of the two extremes. Bully.

I just hope my tendency to be screwed over by rotten luck doesn't make getting a decent ending nigh impossible. I was failing skill checks left and right on Beatrice's first mission, even when I was a full level over and had specced myself to complete it from the beginning.
SpectralTime

Postby SpectralTime » Tue May 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Actually, let me revise that. That's a good way of balancing how the skip-to-the-hentai portions of the game work. I'll talk about the actual make-the-gameplay-easier passages here for a moment.

Now, I know you've got most of the game already made, and I know that, at this point in the development process, it would be neigh-impossible to create any sort of code analogous to one from the first game that would NOT be a total gamebreaker.

However, one of the things I liked about the first game was its structure. First, you get one girl, and that gives you a password to make the swing at the next girl a little easier. That gives you another password, which allows you to train enough to get the final ending. It ensured that the player got the experience he was supposed to.

On, the other hand, I see the problems with it. One can indeed simply grab the passwords off some random website to make the best ending too easy to complete, so I guess I see your point.

I just hope that each girl's story isn't super-duper hard, so that every section of the game is similar to every other section.

To summarize, both sides have points, and I can easily see where you're coming from. However, I, naturally, lean towards mine a little more. And, because I want to be taken seriously, here is Abraham Lincoln:

And, again, showing Teddy Roosevelt how it's done:

SpectralTime

Postby hentaicook » Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 am

Making an Aching Dreams 1 style game isn't impossible or hard at all. I'll list the changes we'd make to get a classic style game back in...

Fighting girls would be considered work. You wouldn't get XP and you wouldn't have to worry about health. You just get 25 gold a day. That's it.
The shop would only have adventure items. No more weapons.
You go to various places to train each BASICS with 6 different stats to juggle, similar to how you just spend a whole day training strength/magic in AD1 instead of being given points to spend on whatever stat in AD2
Adventures would be mostly just dialogue instead of choosing different options. Instead of having the game roll some dice with your basics to see if you succeed, you simply either pass a certain number BASICS that's required, or you lose the mission. You either have the (now required) shop item, or lose the mission.
Cheats back in. The multiplier cheats would return (allowing you to speed up how fast you level up, meaning threesomes are possible and only possible by cheating)

The result: The game becomes very passive. You don't have to read anymore whereas the current game has you reading carefully to decide on what to do next. No more health/XP considerations means that the game also becomes much easier in that respect too. You don't have to juggle dates, training, leveling up, and special dates. No planning required, just spam the level up button as you work/sleep in a five second repetition until you meet the threshold. You could even spend the first 20 days just training and then end it with the dating all at once.

If we made AD2 like AD1, the game would be very easy to finish(and as a result, faster to finish). The game would be more accessible to many. You have to understand that the game requires strategy now. AD1 barely had any game and was mostly visual novel. AD2 is a visual novel, but with a strategy game also.
hentaicook

Postby SpectralTime » Wed May 19, 2010 12:35 am

hentaicook wrote:Fighting girls would be considered work. You wouldn't get XP and you wouldn't have to worry about health. You just get 25 gold a day. That's it.
The shop would only have adventure items. No more weapons.
You go to various places to train each BASICS with 6 different stats to juggle, similar to how you just spend a whole day training strength/magic in AD1 instead of being given points to spend on whatever stat in AD2
Adventures would be mostly just dialogue instead of choosing different options. Instead of having the game roll some dice with your basics to see if you succeed, you simply either pass a certain number BASICS that's required, or you lose the mission. You either have the (now required) shop item, or lose the mission.
Cheats back in. The multiplier cheats would return (allowing you to speed up how fast you level up, meaning threesomes are possible and only possible by cheating)

That was my point. Implementing, say, a gold-multiplier, EXP-multiplier, increased level cap, etc. cheat without making it far too easy would mean fundamentally altering the mechanics of the game as it stands now. Only non-game breaker cheats I can think of would be along the lines of an improved HP progression cheat, a +1 or 2 to all rolls cheat, or a cheat reducing the points needed to upgrade a BASICS stat for its first one or two levels of each multiple of ten (Ex: leveling to 11 or 12 only costs 1, 21 or 22 only costs 2, etc., which I know from my computer programming class would be trouble to code for PYTHON, given my skills), and even they are marginal.

I guess what I'm saying is, whatever works for this game, let it work.
SpectralTime

PreviousNext

Return to Aching Dreams 2